In 1878 when the Reverend John Archibald Deal came to the Cashiers Valley, he found a small community augmented in summers by the family and friends of General Wade Hampton from South Carolina. With the help of the Hamptons and their friends, an Episcopal Church was built in 1884. Disaster struck in August 1892 when the church was destroyed by fire. The present church, now on the National Register of Historic Buildings, was dedicated in 1895. Visit their website to learn more.